Thursday, August 5, 2010

Blood, Sweat and Beers

The title of this post is actually the name of the 10 mile trail run I completed last Sunday. The whole premise of the event it that you have a nice 10 mile run through the hiking trails of Auburn California and then everybody gets 2 beers and there is a huge party. Let's just say that this is not actually how my day went. But I need to start at the beginning, not the middle.

Many months ago my boss Allyson asked me to do a trail run with her called Blood, Sweat and Beers (http://www.bloodsweatbeers.com/). After looking at the website and the course I thought to myself, "You have got to be eff-ing kidding me if she thinks that I am going to do this!" I quickly replied "no" and went about my business.

Jump forward to last Saturday.

I am with my family at the Giant vs. Dodger game at Pac Bell park. I was there enjoying my family and the beauty that is San Francisco, when I got a message on my phone from Allyson. It said something to the effect of: Are you up for a challenge? I am going to do a run tomorrow in Auburn and I leave at 6:30 am if you would like to join me. I asked a couple questions then decided: How hard could it be?

REALLY REALLY REALLY FREAKING HARD!!!!!

I completed the course at 10.4 miles and it only took me 2 hours and 37 minutes. I drank 3 different runners goo and about a million liters of water/gatorade. I cried. I vomited 10 times. I incurred 2 charlie horse. I was so delirious after the run that I did not even recognize my high school Latin teacher (whom finished the same run in an hour and 20 minutes).

The next 2 days I could barely walk. I had literally run straight up a mountain then straight back down. Over and over again. It was the hardest physical activity I have ever done. I thought I was really going to die. Today is the first day I do not have massively huge amounts of pain.

I finished it. I don't want to do it again...
.
.
.
.
well maybe next year.

And by the way, I have no idea how anybody could have possibly even thought about drinking beer after an ordeal like that.

No comments: