Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
I have planted a couple friends to conviently show up in the same place around the same time so that incase it is awful beyond all reason I can get out...I know that is pretty childish of me but honestly I don't particularly want to go. I would much rather stay home with my puppy dog and kitty dogs...with the potential of seeing the guy that I still love...the one I am not allowed to love, the one I am trying to get over by doing this...
ugh. Rocks and hard places are really not fun.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Here is what I’ve been told:
- The Board will meet
6/09/09and determine layoffs
- Classes sizes will go to 38-1 next year
- There is very little chance of teachers coming back from initial layoffs in March
- Vanden will be cutting 6 FTE. Mathematically it works out to 6.6 FTE
- English will lose over one FTE. Math will lose over one FTE. Science will lose over one FTE. Social Science will lose about one FTE. I’m not sure where the other cuts will come.
- Visual Arts will go to 34-1
- Career Tech will go to 30-1
- English 38-1 (This translates into over 1 FTE layoff. Keep in mind Golden West is slated to lose 4-5 FTE total)
- Foreign Language will go to 38-1
- Math will go to 38-1
- Physical Ed will go to 50-1
- Science will go to 32-1
- Social Science will go to 38-1
- Health will go to 38-1
The district is planning to purchase furniture
Golden West will be forced to eliminate 4-5 FTE
Tech is not scheduled for reductions
Questions that were not answered:
Can the district support 4 levels of language at Vanden?
What else will be cut?
It is unclear who will lose their job since bumping rights come into play. Teachers with more time in Travis may move from other school sites into jobs at Vanden. Senior members of our department understand this process more than I do.
Here are some ideas being contemplated around the nation in order to preserve core programs and class sizes. These are not my recommendations, but they are things I’ve read about when mammoth budget cuts hit. They aren’t pretty, but I can see how other districts are trying to keep cuts as far away from the classroom as possible. That might not be too bad of an idea. I’m certain our trusty leadership is looking into alternate ways to avert such a catastrophic degradation of learning conditions.
(1) Axe sports. The kids can play in a city league. Or they can fundraise to make their sports happen.
(2) Eliminate district office clerical staff. If teachers have no secretaries, why do administrators get so many of them?
(3) Eliminate standardized testing. It costs the state a ton of money. It's a luxury for when we have money.
(4) On the days there would've been testing, furlough everyone in the district and reduce their pay by that amount.
(5) Charge students and parents for things not required by ed-code (lab fees, art fees, bus fees, parking fees).
(6) Add minutes to each school day in order to eliminate a day or two from the calendar. Those days will save on electricity, busses, etc.
(7) Get rid of career/college counselors. Kids can research on their own online.
(8) Eliminate libraries. Make the kids go to the county and city libraries.
(9) Increase class sizes to 25 per teacher in K-3, an in-between number.
(10) Sell ad space (on student handouts, lockers, desktops) to local and national businesses.
(11) Merge districts. Companies merge to save on overhead and corporate office expenses. It's streamlining.
(12) Eliminate campus monitors, yard duty supervisors. Call 911 when there's a fight or an injury.
(13) Do not hire consultants or lawyers for the district. Delay these expenses until there is money.
(14) Rent land and facilities. Schools sit empty at night, on weekends, and during the summer. Rent the space out to another group. The gyms can become health clubs when not being used.
It doesn't look good for me. I wont know anything definite for a while but it honestly doesn't look good.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
I did go to the store and use the last of my money to buy a few groceries...hopefully they will last me for 2 weeks. I have a feeling they will for I am smart girl and bought things that I could use...ugh I really look forward to the day that money is not a issue and I can live comfortably. That day will come right?
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Thursday, May 14, 2009
I am currently attached to an idea. An idea that is so cozy and warm. One that keep you safe and surrounds you with the warm fuzzies of comfort. I mean I know that this idea can be true and has been true but I appear to be hanging on to the comfort of what once was instead of what can be again. It is difficult for me to let go even though I know it is the best thing for me to do...
An ethereal ocean of nonexistence...that is where I am currently swimming...
...we are over...over over.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Although school is almost over, this is probably the hardest part of the year because the students get so squirrelly that it is hard to accomplish anything. Some teachers will use this as an excuse not to be productive; I use it as a reason to crack down. I want my students to know that my class lasts all the way through the last day and there will be no breaks because honestly when they get into the work force there are not going to be breaks all the time like they get now! I know that this makes my students think that I am not friendly and I am too strict...my response to that "suck it up!"
As far as things go in my relationship life...well even if I tried to explain it, it wouldn't make any sense so lets just leave it at that.
Friday, May 8, 2009
not only did I fall in love with somebody that I shouldn't have...I can't make myself quit him. I mean in my head it completely makes sense. In my head I know that I should be moving forward and forgetting about all the "good" things that we had before. I know that I need to move on and allow myself to find love with another individual but my heart honestly doesn't want to let go regardless of how much it makes sense.
Learning to grow up and be mature is not easy. I wonder if I will ever make it there...I need to make it there are quit this addiction that is my ex...
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Diane told me I need to cut off all communication. I need to ask him to stop texting, stop calling and get my key back for my apartment. It hurts so bad. The mere idea of it is heart wrenching and painful. I know that I need to do it. I know that I need to fix things in my life so that I can get back on my feet and move on...it is just the scarriest thing I have ever done. I don't know how to breath right now. I am scared.
I want what is best for me but I have to put my big boy pants on and do it. I need to open my heart to mending.
At Mama's birthday dinner it was only Mom, Dad, Diane and me. It was a lot of fun until Diane felt the need to start giving me the break up talk. She made me cry. I know that what she is saying is true but honestly I cannot bring myself to do it. I don't want to stop talking to him and cut him off. I need to do it though. We are going to a Giant's game on 17 May...after that I seriously need to consider ending it...completely.