Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Well that is Depressing...

So I had a student elaborate to me how every student in my first period class hates me except her. Now I am not really sure how I feel about this. The student informant is more than reliable so I don't doubt that the students have expressed these things to her. What more concerns me is that in turn they have almost all been very encouraging and responsive. Some of the sweetest girls I have had the privilege of teaching are apparently passive aggressive small ones. I know that these high schoolers do not know me on a personal level, they are probably reacting to my rules and assignments, and they have never tried to manage a classroom full of impossible beings (impossible at times) but still it is very disconcerting. 30 students have been hating me for who knows how long and they are all sitting in the same class. It is almost scary really. That is a power that I don't think they even recognize. I mean, don't get me wrong. I know that students hate their teachers. I know that they go through phases and blah blah blah, but really?! an ENTIRE class? I was unaware that was even possible.

well there you have it I guess. My ENTIRE first period class hates me except one student. I guess it is a good thing I found this out the night before their final performances...hhhhmmmmm I wonder how this will reflect in grades. Would they be different if I had never known?

The world may never know.

No comments: